Vinesh Phogat born on 25 August 1994 is an Indian wrestler. She became the first Indian woman wrestler to win gold in both Commonwealth and Asian Games.
Vinesh has followed in the footsteps of her cousins Geeta Phogat and Babita Kumari and comes from one of India’s most renowned wrestling families, after being introduced to the sport at a very early age by her uncle Mahavir Singh Phogat.
Vinesh Phogat Biography
|Real Name||Vinesh Phogat|
|Nick Name||Vinesh Phogat|
|Date of Birth||25 August 1994|
|Height||In Centimetres – 159 cm|
In Feet and Inches – 5’ 2
|Weight||In Kilograms – 56 Kg|
In Pounds – 123 lbs
48 kg/50 kg/53 kg, Freestyle Wrestling
|Coached by||Mahavir Singh Phogat|
|Education||School education from KCM Sr. Sec. School Jhojhu Kalan, Haryana|
MDU, Rohtak, Haryana for higher education
Vinesh Phogat Family
- Vinesh is the daughter of wrestler Rajpal Phogat and cousin of wrestlers Geeta and Babita.
- Vinesh Phogat’s mother’s name is Prem Lata Phogat.
- Her brother’s name is Harvinder Phogat, and her sister Priyanka Phogat is also a wrestler.
- On 13 December 2018, she married her long-time boyfriend and fellow wrestler Somvir Rathee of Bakhta Khera village of Jind district
Vinesh Phogat Career
- In the 2013 Asian Wrestling Championships in New Delhi, India, Vinesh won the bronze medal in the women’s freestyle 52 kg category.
- In, the 2013 Commonwealth Wrestling Championships, in Johannesburg, South Africa, she won the silver medal.
- Vinesh represented India in the women’s freestyle 48 kg category at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow and won the gold medal.
- At the 2014 Asian Games in Incheon, South Korea, Vinesh won the bronze medal in the women’s freestyle 48 kg category.
- At the 2015 Asian Championships in Doha, Phogat won the silver medal.
- At the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio, Vinesh reached the Quarter Finals and lost to Sun Yanan of China owing to a knee injury.
- Vinesh Phogat won the gold medal in women’s 50 kg freestyle wrestling at the 2018 Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast.
- Vinesh Phogat won the gold medal at the 2018 Asian Games and became the first Indian woman wrestler to win gold in the Asian Games
- Vinesh won the bronze medal in the 2019 Asian Wrestling Championships by defeating World Championships bronze medallist Qianyu Pang of China.
- In the wrestling championships held at Kyiv, Ukraine in February 2021, Vinesh beat her opponent Vanesa Kaladzinskay and clinched a gold medal.
- She won the gold medal in the women’s 53 kg event at the 2022 Commonwealth Games held in Birmingham, England.
Vinesh Phogat Honors
- Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna- Highest sports honour in India, winner in 2020.
- Arjuna Award, winner in 2016.
- Padma Shri, nominee in 2018 by the Sports Authority of India.
- She also won the BBC Indian Sportswoman Of The Year award for 2022.
- Vogue India presented Vinesh Phogat with the Woman of the Year award in 2018
- She was the first woman Indian athlete who was nominated for the Laureus World Sports Awards in 2019.
Vinesh Phogat Instagram-vineshphogat
Vinesg Phogat Twitter-Vinesh Phogat
Vinesh Phogat, Bajrang Punia, and Sakshi Malik held a sit-in protest at Jantar Mantar in New Delhi on 18 January 2023 against the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh.